Sunday, January 15, 2012

Transition...

My biggest client made me an offer I shouldn't refuse; become an employee or we'll have to find someone else who will, and will do what you're doing for us.  They didn't put in so many words, in fact it was in much nicer phrasing than that, but it amounts to the same thing.

Slam! the trap door shuts.

I have a lot of pride in what I've achieved so far with my business.  I love the freedom of having my own business; making my own decisions and doing what I want, when I want, for whom I want, in the way I want, being responsible only to my customers.  I love the freedom!

But it was a really good offer.

I do like the company a lot, though.  I like working with their people.

I asked for a lot contract riders I didn't think they'd go for; false objections in sales speak.


They said yes to them all.

So I have a new job.  I still have virtually the same freedom of action, the same freedom of decision, same commitment to my [their] customers, the same responsibility to deliver, my commute is the same (the walk from my bedroom to my home office).  I have a weekly paycheque.  I have a Boss.

So, why did I say yes?

Because it was the smart decision in this economy? It was.  Because I have kids in University to pay for?  I do.  Because it will make Hayley more comfortable knowing we have steady/stable income?  It will.

Nope.  I said yes because pride wasn't a good enough reason to say no.

2 comments:

  1. I hope one of the riders was: Mark gets to train and go to IMs all he wants!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete